Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Remember by Shannon Dermott



ARC Review

When sixteen year old Charlize finds herself unmistakably lost in the forest with no memory how she got there, it was easy for her to assume the angel face boy who saves her was there to. But little did she know that couldn’t be further from the truth.

With a brush of death, she finds new reasons to live after the unexplained death of her father. Her only regret in last three years was letting the one boy she could have loved get away.

Plunged into a world not of her making, there are those that will hunt her, a foe that calls her Little Queen, and her torn heart. Most of all, she will have to remember and face her memories if she is to survive.


My Review

What I Loved: 
The guys:  Remember the whole book boyfriend thing I talked about?  This book has two!  Peter is the dark, mysterious bad boy.  Tattoos and piercings but an amazingly sweet guy underneath it all.  Then there is Adam.  The best friend, loyal and all-American guy.  Both of these guys are great and Charlie has to choose between them.  Not an easy decision when one of them will end up hurt and half her heart will be broken.
Charlize (Charlie):  Love this girl!  She was raised to be tough and independent and to stand on her own two feet.  These are the kinds of girls I love to see as the lead characters in books.  I am a firm believer that while dreaming about Prince Charming is great, our girls should be taught to be like Charlie and not be waiting around for a guy to come and save them.
Mystery:  The author does a great job of having just enough mystery in the story to keep you hooked.  It drives me crazy when authors build so much mystery in to the story and then give nothing away.  Luckily, in this book you get enough clues and answers that you won't go completely batty.

Not So Much:
Twilight-esque:  This part is a bit of a spoiler so be warned.  Charlie is caught between two guys; one a vampire, one a shifter.  While it is a completely different story it still resembles Twilight. Although, in the author's defense there are only so many options when writing about a paranormal love triangle.  I just got a little bored with all the vampire/shifter books that rode the coattails of Twilight.
Editing!:  So...My daughter calls me a Grammar Nazi and I have to say it is a bit true.  Because of that I try to be a bit lenient about editing when I read books.  This book just had so many issues it almost appeared as if it had never been edited.  It drove me a bit crazy and I probably wouldn't have read the entire book if the story hadn't been so great.


Parent Guide:
This book is appropriate for high school and older. I would not recommend it to kids younger than that.  Take in to account that it does contain vampires and shifters, so there is some death.  Most is a direct result of keeping Charlie safe but it may still be disturbing for younger readers.  There is also some talk about sex.  Nothing graphic or nearly as bad as the things I hear in the hallways of my kids' schools but still there.


My Rating
 

No comments:

Post a Comment