Monday, June 29, 2015

Unclaimed by Laurie Wetzel


Abandoned by her birth parents and ignored by her adoptive family, Maddy Page believes she is unlovable. She only allows herself to dream of falling in love. That changes when she meets MJ; handsome and kind, MJ penetrates Maddy's defenses. Maddy soon finds herself confiding in MJ like she has with no one else, revealing secrets even her closest friends don't know. He makes her feel safe--a feeling she's never experienced except in her dreams.

When Maddy witnesses MJ disappear and reappear in thin air, she realizes she might have been wrong about him. He could be dangerous--maybe even a killer. Determined to uncover the truth of who--or what--MJ is, Maddy ignores her instinct to run. But she soon realizes that getting close to MJ could cost more than a broken heart--it could cost Maddy her soul.

Book picture and description from  Goodreads.com

My Review

   I know this may come as a shock but this review is for a book that I actually purchased.  I know the other reviews here have been for books I was given to review.  It may seem that I only read these free books but the truth is that I read a ton of books that I purchase myself but because they are mostly mass market books I haven't bothered to review them.  I have decided to add reviews for all of the books that I read, partly in hopes that I can share other wonderful books with you but also because I am finding that I have read so many books I don't always remember the particulars of those books unless they are exceptional and I would like to be able to look back at what I have read and remember more than I would on my own.
   I actually bought this book because I signed up to read the second book in this series and found that there was just too much I was missing to really lose myself in the story.  This first book was a fun read.  The story isn't too unique. There are several books, especially lately, that fall in to the paranormal romance genre. Vampire, werewolves, angles.  There is only so much an author can do to make the story unique when writing in this genre. That being said I have to admit that I am a sucker for these stories and even though this story isn't unique it is still a great read.
   I loved most of the characters.  They were very relatable.  My favorite is definitely MJ.  What girl isn't a sucker for an amazing guy?  Especially one that always knows the right things to say and continually saves the love of his life.  Despite liking the characters I did have a bit of a hard time dealing with Maddy.  She is always down on herself and always thinks the worst.  I understand teen angst, I really do, but hers was a bit over the top. She finds a great guy...she hates on herself, she finds out she is special...she hates on herself, etc.  The only time she isn't hating on herself is when she is physically touching MJ because he has the power to fill her with peace, but the second he lets go the self hate begins again.  While I get the need for it as part of the plot (don't want to give away too much) but I just wish that Maddy wasn't so negative.  Maybe once I read book two I will understand a little better and it won't bug me as much.
   The author does a great job with building the mystery around Maddy.  She has several protectors that keep an eye on her and try to hide her from both Heaven and Hell.  Both sides would love to control her powers.  What are you supposed to do when both sides will do her harm?  I love that the side that is supposed to be inherently good isn't able to be trusted.  After all Lucifer began in Heaven only to fall because of his desires.  What is to stop others from following in his footsteps?  Luckily Maddy is unknowingly surrounded by beings trying to protect her, even if they aren't traditionally the 'good guys'.   The problem is that there are always questions surrounding the motives of these protectors.  Hopefully they are just wanting to be there for Maddy and hopefully the second book will answers these and many other questions.
   
My Rating


   I would have rated this a 5 if not for Maddy's over-the-top self hatred.

Parents Guide:  There is a small bit of swearing but nothing bad.  The book does have some disturbing scenes related to the demon that is after Maddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment